Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Good of Others

I have subscribed to Zondervan and they send me these email messages daily. Today, i saw this message and it also highlighted some very powerful and informative words. Often times we have taken for granted what we do. Just because I love doing it, or I am comfortable with it, does not make it right. Thinking about other people will definately improve the way we interract with them. I hope you will be edified by the words below

Paul insists that our social lives be governed not by "purity rules" but by three simple but profound goals. First, we should live with a desire to bring glory to the one true Lord: "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31).

[Second,] "Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God - even as I try to please everyone in every way" (1 Corinthians 10:32-33). Throughout Paul's letters "stumbling" usually means missing out on salvation. This verse, then, is not simply about upsetting people it is about acting in a way that puts their salvation at risk.

[Third,] not only are we to avoid jeopardising the salvation of others; we are to actively pursue that salvation: "even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved. Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ" (1 Corinthians 10:33 - 11:1).

I want to ask you to reflect on Paul's teaching and on Jesus' example. Is your social life oriented toward the good of others - being with them, befriending them, doing good to them and speaking to them about Christ when opportunity invites? In short, does your life illustrate the fellowship with sinners God so keenly desires?

- John Dickson, The Best Kept Secret of Christian Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment